Over the last week or so I've been getting my teeth stuck into some typography and checking out some new and wonderful typographers. One gem in particular that caught my eye was the guys at Typejockeys, a typography and typeface design company based in Vienna, Austria. These appealed to me more then any others as they use quite a lot of hand generated type as well as digital stuff sometimes combining the two together.Cheeky.
After five years of nothing a new issue of Typo Page has finally been produced with Typejockeys designing the cover. The completely hand generated piece was made using a rubber plate, photographed and then coloured. Nothing digital whatsoever. Really nice touch.
The images above are some of the concept art first thought up for the initial cover. I'm not so keen on the colour use and bubbly type. They were wanting to create a plastic toy world with fitted hand lettering that could be produced as a 3-D rubber plate. I think the idea is pretty sweet but not very feasible, in saying this I'd definitely buy it because of the concept and originality behind it.
I think the little thumbnail versions seem to have more character about them then the finished versions. I often find in my own work I seem to tighten up when it comes to producing final pieces and think you can tell that these have done the same.




No comments:
Post a Comment