Monday, 21 November 2011

MUSIC: PORTFOLIO VISIT 2

So as I mentioned earlier, when in Preston we had the opportunity to book slots with professionals to talk about portfolios. I managed to talk to Jordan, who works for Music creative agency based in Manchester.

As I'd briefly spoken to Craig Oldham when he came to Uni last month, and seeing he was completely sound I hoped Jordan would be the same. I was right. We were pretty limited with time so I think I only had ten minutes to quickly go through my work. I talked about each project explaining the fundamental elements of each brief and the reasons for me choosing to execute them the way I did.  

Having blasted through the majority of my work we started to chat about the target audience I was trying to appeal to as my work seems to have quite a morbid and dark theme to a lot of it. Having discussed that it was quite mixed but some was aimed at children he suggested either lightening my working style up a little or think about the intended audience in more depth (i.e changing it). He liked the illustrations I had produced for the Macmillan books but thought they were slightly too intimidating for smaller children. I had produced the work in the particular style because I was trying to make a book that I would have liked at that age but in looking back perhaps the weirder, older stuff appealed to me more.

Having taken his advice on board I think I've realised that rather then tackling a brief all guns blazing I need to break it down critically. Jordan mentioned that as he wasn't an illustrator himself that he could only give me his opinion on my portfolio rather then critical feedback but I think he managed to do this subconsciously a I feel I did benefit from seeing him.

 For future reference I think I'd also like to try and get a viewing with and illustration agency, this way I'm covering more types of the industry and not limiting myself. Overall it was a brief but positive viewing that left me with some good ideas for upcoming work.

No comments:

Post a Comment