Tuesday, 13 December 2011

LORD WHITNEY: PORTFOLIO VISIT NUMERO 3

Last week I went to visit Lord Whitney (see previous posts if you don't know who they are) in their cold but creative warehouse studio in Leeds. I was massively grateful to both Bek and Amy for taking time out of their busy schedule to have a look at my work so close to Christmas and a week before they were due to feature an installtion at the Dead Sea Mob night at Night&Day in Manchester.

The studio pre decoration stage and 70's style xmas tree.
As I mentioned earlier, the studio itself was situated in the top floor of a disused warehouse and man alive was it nippy. It was full of weird and wonderful costumes (including hand made signs, life sized landscapes and plastic pimped out crows) and props that made you feel that you could of been in the backstage of a film/tv set like the Mighty Boosh. There were a few gas and electric heaters to huddle round to keep warm but more importantly it was a good excuse to have cups of tea, which hit the spot. Thanks again girls! Having acclimatised myself to the conditions of the tundra like studio, like other visits in the past, I spoke about each project in my portfolio focusing on ideas generation and process. However, unlike the past two visits, I felt that I gained tonnes more creative feedback and left with lots of things to consider when working in future. It was a very relaxed few hours where we chatted about things they thought I might like/be interested in outside of the art world that could strengthen my work. This ranged from Victorian circuses, short stories, films and more importantly Hendricks Gin! It was dead nice that they did this as they could of quite easily looked at my work and left it at that but they seemed to get pretty excited about future prospects within my work.

As far as I can remember they were generally positive about my work and had nothing but kind words to say about it. It was a real compliment to hear that from a creative team that are doing so well for themselves and has made me really think hard about how I could benefit from working in a small team in the last few months of uni to prep me for leaving. They were also pretty pleased with the work I produced for the brief they set for us earlier in the month so this again has swayed me towards collaborating in the future as I worked with Jordan O'brien on it.

Overall, I had a most pleasant time with them (and their intern) and left feeling really positive and happy with my work but more importantly excited about cracking on with projects discussed. I've got a lot of ideas that I'd hopefully like to blast out over the Christmas holiday including a much more personal business all thanks to the creative input of Lord Whitney. I would like to think I could get in touch with them again about future work and they'd be just as welcoming about it. In conclusion, I feel like I gained a lot from this portfolio visit and can see why we're encouraged to seek professional advice about our work.

No comments:

Post a Comment