Saturday, 28 January 2012

BIG BUG SATURDAY.

Yesterday was the long anticipated "Big Saturday" event at Manchester Museum that us third years have been producing work for over the last couple of  months. The day was a chance for children to come and work with experts in the field of insects (and us), to learn about various species of bugs through little workshops. We had all been producing posters, games, puzzles and badges for the children to interact with and give the parents and excuse to do some colouring in.

I decided to focus my work on the Cicada as I wasn't too familiar with the species but liked the aesthetics of its body shape. Having then done a bit of research, the cicadas life cycle was pretty cool so I decided to make this the focus of my work. From this, I made a poster representing the different stages of life the insect goes through but tried to avoid the scientific graphics you see to do with cycles using arrows and circles. I tired to draw something that would have appealed to me as a kid so went for the gloomy, dark stuff as usual.

There was a few cameras filming the run up to and the day itself but I'm not sure what they're making with it all. They grabbed me to once side for a quick interview of what I though of the day, which was pretty cool. Felt like I was on Blue Peter or something. Overall it was a pretty challenging but rewarding day, given the chance to see children reacting to our illustrations. I'd definitely put my name forward for any more work with the museum if it cropped up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment